America is a wealthy nation but that wealth is disproportionately owned by a small percentage of the population, while most of us struggle to afford housing, transportation, nutrition, education, healthcare, childcare, and other basic needs. Homelessness is on the rise around the country, workers are managing multiple jobs to stay afloat, the middle-class is carrying far too much debt, and the super wealthy just received a giant tax cut!
As a small business owner, working mother, and long-time activist for economic justice, Robin is committed to building a community where people, not profits, are the first concern. Robin will fight for:
- Repealing the Trump Tax Cuts on the Rich- the affluent must invest their fair share to support shared services
- A dignified and sufficient Living Wage, tied to consumer inflation
- Pay equity for women and people of color
- Workers' Rights to organize and negotiate collectively with employers
A Sustainable and Livable Environment
There is no Planet B. Robin is aware that none of the other plans or goals to which we aspire are possible without ensuring a livable world for ourselves, our children, and future generations. Robin is committed to raising awareness of and investment in scientifically-vetted solutions to reverse the damage human activity has caused. She will fight for environmental justice in communities here at home and around the country. Robin will advocate for:
- Immediate application of carbon taxes at the source
- Incentivize transition to 100% renewable energy by 2028
- Climate Change & Sustainability Solutions: www.drawdown.org
- Full funding and competent leadership for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Protecting National Parks and expanding protected wildlife habitats
- Cleanup of water, soil, and air in communities hardest hit by pollution, funded by polluters
Healthcare for All
Robin has been active in the fight for universal, single-payer healthcare since observing how the military benefits her brother had made it possible for him to recover and thrive after being severely injured while serving in Iraq. Too many Americans are paying exorbitant premiums and deductibles before seeing any actual coverage, effectively leaving them with far more costs than benefits. Others have no coverage at all and are dependent on emergency rooms or self-treatment- which end up costing us all more in the long run.
The Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, was a good start toward universal coverage, but Robin will fight for the more comprehensive, portable, and efficient solution- Expanded & Improved Medicare for All (HR-676).
Better Housing and Development
As an activist for social justice, Robin has stood with Rochester's most vulnerable citizens as they've faced displacement, most recently at the South Avenue encampment and the Cadillac Hotel. Robin is committed to ensuring that everyone can affordably obtain secure, permanent housing. She also supports investment in safe, temporary housing for anyone in need. Robin opposes profit-driven development that displaces existing community residents and small businesses. Sustainable development requires intentional inclusion of all community members, investment in accessible transportation and green spaces, and ease of access to food, employment, and healthcare in all of our neighborhoods.
Policing and Criminal Justice Reform
As a Black woman, raising Black sons, Robin is keenly aware of how our current systems unfairly target certain communities, with tragic results. She has been extremely active on issues related to the profiling of people of color, mass incarceration and the routine criminalization of poverty. She will continue to work to reform the criminal justice system by fighting for policies that ensure police are being held to the same legal standards as all citizens- with transparency, civilian oversight, and accountability.
Robin will fight for:
- Demilitarizing of our police forces
- Legalization of marijuana, due to discriminatory enforcement
- An end to the Cash Bail system
- Prohibiting "broken windows” policing and race-based profiling
- Eliminating for-profit prisons and detention centers
- Ending the discriminatory use of past criminal history in determining eligibility to vote, work, and/or receive public services
Inclusive and Accessible Education for All
Robin believes that public education should not be privatized, that all children and youth should be given access to equitable, positive, supportive educational environments that nurture their academic AND social-emotional development. No student should suffer under the excessive burden of standardized assessments or punitive behavioral constraints. Robin will fight for:
- Free, public pre-K through college opportunities for all
- Student-loan debt relief
- Elimination of the for-profit student loan system
- Investment in evidence-based social-emotional learning (SEL) programs
- Equitable funding for all schools, regardless of ZIP Code
Corporate lobbyists and the ultra-wealthy have been unfairly influencing American democracy and democratic processes for too long. Robin's campaign is powered by the people. She is not accepting any corporate campaign contributions, nor will she in the future. Robin will fight for:
- An end to gerrymandering of election districts
- Prohibition of voter suppression efforts
- Re-enfranchisement of citizens who have satisfied the terms of prior felony convictions
- Equal ability and right of citizens to participate in democratic processes at all levels
VALUING AND PROTECTING Black Lives
Black lives matter. Robin will fight for racial justice and oppose any forms of systemic oppression, violence, racism, and injustices directed at Black lives in our community, region, and nation.
Support for the LGBTQ Community
LGBTQ+ individuals and families are valuable members of our community and should be afforded equal rights and opportunities guaranteed by our Constitution. Robin supports diversity of gender expression and will work to build a society that accepts and includes all people, regardless of their sexual identity.
Welcoming Immigrants and Refugees
No human being is illegal. As the daughter of immigrants, Robin is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of immigrants and refugees, documented or otherwise. She will promote policies and initiatives that ensure that those seeking safety and opportunity in America are welcomed. Robin will fight for:
- Humane Immigration Reform
- Discontinuation of policies that criminalize refugees and separate children from their parents
- Protection of Dreamers through the extension of DACA
- A clear path to citizenship for immigrants
- Ending the ban on immigration from specific countries
CARING FOR OUR MOST VULNERABLE CITIZENS
Robin is committed to putting people first and investing in the well-being of our most vulnerable citizens. These include children and youth, people with disabilities, and older adults who require long-term care. She will support policies that ensure uncompromised access to good nutrition, healthcare, safe & accessible environments, opportunities for positive development and recreation, and to have their voices heard and respected. Robin will fight for investment in programs that ensure affordable, high-quality childcare; opportunities for people with disabilities have and maintain independence; and security and dignity for our elders.
Equity for All
All people, regardless of ability, should have access to participate and have an equal voice in their community, receiving the same services, rights, and protections as everyone else. All means all, without exception or qualification. Robin will work for policies that respect the rights of all people to be who they are, and to live their lives with dignity and acceptance.